Five Ingredients, Five Recipes, Five Seed Blend
Have you ever gone to throw together a meal only to realize that your cupboards were practically bare? You probably thought to yourself that there wasn’t enough to make anything substantial and went to grab take out instead.
But you can actually do a lot with very little!
We’ve created five simple yet delicious recipes, each using the same five ingredients! If you’ve got avocado, spinach, plain yogurt, fresh lemon and our Perfect Press® Five Seed Blend, you can make a whole host of tasty snacks and meals.
These recipes may be simple, but they’re incredibly delicious and they cover a lot of nutritional bases. Healthy eating that’s quick, simple and yummy. That’s the goal, right?
While we are focusing on using just these five ingredients (plus one bonus ingredient per recipe), feel free to add salt and pepper to “italicize” the flavors (to borrow a phrase from Michael Pollan).
As always, try to get organic produce and yogurt. Choosing organic foods will help you make sure what you’re putting in your body isn’t contaminated with pesticides.
The benefits of these 5 ingredients
As with most of our recipes, all of the ingredients we’re using have a handful of health benefits. We always like to make sure what you’re eating is both tasty and nutritious.
We’ve broken down some of the best benefits of each ingredient so you can feel great about your food choices.
- Avocado. Avocados are incredibly nutrient dense. They are packed full of vitamins, including vitamins C, E, K, B6. Avocados also have magnesium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, folate, lutein, beta-carotene, pantothenic acid and plenty of omega-3 fatty acids. All of these different nutrients help different parts of your body function properly.
- Spinach. Like avocado, spinach is a powerful green food. It’s low in the bad stuff, like LDL cholesterol, and high in zinc, protein, fiber, vitamins E, C, A, K and B6. It’s also packed with minerals, like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, copper and manganese.
According to Dr. Mercola, “Abundant flavonoids in spinach act as antioxidants to keep cholesterol from oxidizing and protect your body from free radicals, particularly in the colon. The folate in spinach is good for your healthy cardiovascular system, and magnesium helps lower high blood pressure. Studies also have shown that spinach helps maintain your vigorous brain function, memory and mental clarity.”
- Plain Yogurt. Yogurt can be great for your gut health, acting as a natural probiotic and keeping your system full of the good bacteria that help your digestive system stay healthy. Not only that, but yogurt is an excellent source of calcium, potassium and protein. Just remember to stay away from pre-sweetened yogurt, no matter what you’re making.
- Fresh Lemon. Fresh lemon juice can have benefits for multiple parts of your body. It can encourage healthy digestion, prevent kidney stones, support weight loss and boost your vitamin C levels, according to PopSugar.
- Five Seed Blend. Five Seed Blend is a potent fusion of black sesame seed oil, coriander seed oil, pumpkin seed oil, sunflower seed oil and flaxseed oil. The list of benefits that Five Seed Blend can bring your body is fairly lengthy, but to name a few, this blend can help deal with inflammation and boost bone strength and density. It also is full of healthy fats that support your digestive system, strengthen your immune system and give you a boost of energy.
Now, let’s get to the recipes…
1 ripe avocado, sliced
1 large handful washed and trimmed spinach
Bonus: 1 small handful chopped walnuts
1 tsp Five Seed Blend
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
6 tsp plain organic full-fat yogurt
Gather your ingredients.
Put the spinach into a salad bowl.
Slice the avocado and add to the spinach. If you want to get fancy with presentation, play around with the arrangement of the slices.
Sprinkle walnuts on top of the spinach and avocado.
In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice and Five Seed Blend and whisk to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss before serving.
3 large, ripe avocados
1 small handful spinach, washed, trimmed and chopped
½ cup plain organic full-fat yogurt
the juice from half of 1 fresh lemon
½ teaspoon Five Seed Blend
Bonus: 1-2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Put the spinach and avocado in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and Five Seed Blend.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (optional).
- With an immersion blender, mix the ingredients until mixture is smooth. Feel free to mash with a fork and leave chunks if you prefer.
- Serve with seed crackers and enjoy.
This sauce works as a salad dressing, on top of grilled meats and vegetables or as a creamy topping for vegetarian stews, channa masala, etc.
2 tsp Five Seed Blend
2 large, ripe avocados
1 handful spinach, washed and trimmed
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¾ cup plain organic full-fat yogurt
Bonus: 1 large handful chopped fresh dill
- Put yogurt, Five Seed Blend and lemon juice in a blender.
- Add the avocados, spinach and dill.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (optional).
- Blend until creamy.
½ ripe avocado
½ cup washed, trimmed spinach
1 cup plain, organic full-fat yogurt
The juice of ½ a lemon
½ tsp Five Seed Blend
Bonus: 4 large, ripe mangos
- Put the avocado, spinach and mangos into a blender
- Add yogurt, lemon juice and Five Seed Blend
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into small paper cups (or, better yet, reusable popsicle molds)
- Stick popsicle sticks in the middle of each cup
- Place in the freezer and wait until frozen solid
- Remove popsicle from the cup slowly and enjoy
Looking for the 5th recipe? Scroll to the bottom of the post to get it!
Loving these recipes? We’ve got more! Check them out in the Activation Kitchen.
Share this post to get our fifth delicious recipe —