How to Give Yourself a Facial Massage
Want to get bright, glowing skin? To restore tautness and elasticity? Take a few minutes just for yourself to relax, rejuvenate and restore? A facial massage is your one stop shop, my friend.
We love facial massages because they’re easy to do at home by yourself, and the health benefits are great. Dr. Marnie Nussbaum, a New York-based cosmetic dermatologist, spoke to Bustle about the benefits of facial massage. In addition to stimulating lymphatic drainage (which helps to remove toxins from the skin, Nussbaum said massage helps “relax the facial muscles to decrease fine lines and wrinkles.”
Some important things to remember when giving yourself a massage: first, be gentle. You’re basically using your fingers to pull at the very delicate skin on your face. If you push or pull too hard, you may not be tightening facial muscles so much as weakening the skin tissue, causing more fine lines and wrinkles.
Next: make sure your face is clean and your hands are clean. You want to have a clean work surface, so as not to rub-in any of the oils from that pizza you just ate.
It also helps to apply a moisturizer or oil to your fingertips before you get started. As Ashley Brieton, an esthetician at Kate Somerville Skin Health Experts told Self, “You want to use a product with good slip like an oil or a serum, making sure you’re choosing products for your skin type.” This will help your fingers glide more smoothly over your skin. Our favorite is amaranth oil for its high concentration of squalene, which keeps the skin moisturized and protects against toxins.
Want to give it a try? Follow our step-by-step instructions below!
- Make sweeping motions across your forehead, moving towards the temples.
- Zig zag your fingers up and down your forehead, going against the grain of any fine lines or wrinkles.
- Make circular motions along the cheekbones, running towards the ears. Make sure to push your fingers up and out to avoid pulling the skin down.
- Sweep wide circles along your jaw, past the corners of the mouth next to your nostrils, and up toward the cheekbones.
- Tap lightly under the eyes (this helps bring down puffiness).
6. Draw wide circles sweeping from under the ears, down toward the throat, and up along the jaw line (this helps drain the lymph nodes).
Repeat this circuit a few times, remembering to use upward strokes and gentle touch. Feel free to light a candle and put on some soothing music at the same time to make it particularly spa-like. You deserve it.
You also deserve the best skin care oil on the market, and that oil is our Perfect Press® Amaranth oil. It’s Perfectly Pressed™ from high-quality organic amaranth seeds and has no additives or preservatives. This unique pressing process ensures zero damage to the nutritional properties of the grain.
This how-to guide is locked
Share This Post To Unlock The Content!