Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Sandwich [Video]
I feel like everyone has a favorite go-to sandwich. We all have those ‘lists’ that we cycle through. It’s easy to get into a rut.
Well, it’s time to throw that list out the window. If you like egg salad or tuna salad or chicken salad — this smashed chickpea sandwich is going to blow you away.
It’s way healthier than those options but it’s also a lot more exciting than the same old, same old.
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- 1 (15 ounce) can organic chickpeas
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- Dash of Himalayan sea salt
- Dash of ground black pepper
- 2 slices organic, whole grain bread
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Panaseeda Flax Oil
- Your favorite sandwich toppings: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, etc.
- Thoroughly drain and rinse the chickpeas. Remove the skins if you want your filling to be smooth (this is optional).
- In a mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas and the avocado together until you get a fairly smooth consistency.
- Add the cilantro, green onions, lime juice, salt and pepper and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk your minced garlic with your flax oil.
- Toast your bread and then brush one side of each slice with the garlic and oil mixture.
- Spread the chickpea mixture onto your bread and top with tomato, lettuce, cucumber, red onion… whatever floats your boat.
Variation: If you’re a fan of the classic tuna melt, you can make this sandwich open-faced and top the chickpea mix with cheese before popping it under the broiler for a couple of minutes. Oooey gooey goodness.
Need to justify your sandwich love? Here are some benefits you’ll get from eating this vegetarian delight:
Chickpeas are great for anyone who wants to lose weight, as they make you feel full for longer and they’re loaded with essential nutrients. They aid digestion and can help to improve blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels — all thanks to their high fiber content. Chickpeas also help to reduce inflammation and strengthen your bones. They are a popular choice for vegans and vegetarians because they’re high in protein.
Avocados also help you feel fuller for longer and their high fiber content can also aid digestion. They contain plenty of important nutrients, like carotenoids and healthy fats. Avocados provide ample benefits for diabetics and they help protect your heart. Plus, their creamy texture (thanks to those healthy fats) makes them a satisfying and nutritious substitute for mayo, which often contains rancid oils.
Cilantro leaves contain plenty of antioxidants, vitamins, fiber and essential oils. They’re low in calories and have no cholesterol.
Green onions are a good source of vitamins K and C. They also contain potassium and quercetin, a beneficial antioxidant.
Lime juice can improve your complexion, prevent disease and combat harmful bacteria. It can improve your circulation and is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Limes are also a decent source of antioxidants.
Our Flax Oil is made from 100% Perfectly Pressed™ flax seeds. It’s rich in omega–3 fatty acids which can reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and excess inflammation. It is may alleviate symptoms associated with immune disorders, including arthritis and psoriasis.
Other Ways to Love Your Sandwich
Share this post for 4 variations, free.