Slow-Cooker Applesauce Recipe [Video]
Nothing beats homemade.
If you’ve got a slow-cooker, applesauce is really easy to make. Play around with optional ingredients like anise, ginger and cinnamon until you find the perfect blend for your taste buds.
Different apple varieties will affect the sweetness of the sauce too, so make notes on every batch until you figure out your favorite blend.
Here’s what you need to get started:
6 large apples (approx. 3 lbs)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 dropperful coriander oil
2 cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon
1-2 whole cloves
A few slivers of fresh ginger root
Peel and core apples. Chop into cubes or slice thinly. If you want a chunkier applesauce, go with cubes. They take longer to cook, but will retain some chunkiness.
Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours. Stir twice during cooking.
Optional: blend with an immersion blender if you want a smooth applesauce.
Cool. Add coriander oil. Pour into mason jars up to the ‘freezer line’. Refrigerate for up to five days or freeze for up to one year. If you’re planning to freeze it, we recommend marking the date on the jar lid.
Easy, right? Plus, it’s healthy too. Check out some of these benefits:
- Apples are great for brain health and development, and can help to prevent neurological conditions like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. They also help to protect your body from diseases like cancer. Apples can help to prevent blood sugar swings, can lower cholesterol and encourage proper blood flow to your heart, encourage liver detox and boost your immune system.
- Lemon juice aids digestion and helps to relieve constipation. Its antibacterial properties make it effective for relieving sore throats and colds too.
- Panaseeda™ Coriander Oil helps to maintain a healthy gut microbiome and can combat food poisoning. It offers immune system support and has pain-relieving properties as well. To read more about the many benefits of coriander, click here.
- Cinnamon has lots of antioxidants that help to battle oxidative stress and protect your immune system. Its anti-inflammatory properties work to ward off diseases and reduce pain. It’s also great for your heart, brain and for preventing or helping to treat diabetes.
- Star anise is an excellent digestive aid and its antioxidant content makes it useful for reducing oxidative stress. It can help to boost your immune system, and antibacterial properties can fight off harmful bacteria.
- Cloves can help to stabilize blood sugar levels and prevent diabetes. They have been used to treat asthma and other respiratory issues and can help to protect your heart.
- Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory and is often used to soothe an upset stomach, aid digestion or alleviate headaches/migraines. It is a powerful antioxidant source, so it helps to combat disease and improve your immune system.
Do you have a favorite Fall recipe? Share it in the comments!